Coal Gun >> Coal Facts
Coal Fast Fact: Space Occupied by Coal
- A cubic foot of broken Anthracite coal averages 54 pounds.
- A ton of loose Anthracite coal occupies 40-43 cubic feet.
- A cubic foot of broken Bituminous coal averages 49 pounds.
- A ton of loose Bituminous coal occupies 40-48 cubic feet.
- More electricity is produced using coal than any other single fuel.
As an example, 45 cubic feet would require a bin
4 feet by 5 feet and 2 feet 3 inches deep. The illustration below puts the size of such a bin in perspective with the size of a person.
For more information, see the Wikipedia article on coal.